About this report
This report outlines the performance of the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) for the financial year ending 30 June 2016. It informs all Australians – including Members of Parliament, political parties, interest groups, candidates, electoral authorities, government departments and agencies, students, teachers and the media – about AEC activities and services. It also describes the AEC’s performance against its agency directions as set out in the AEC Corporate Plan for 2015–19, with reference to updated 2015–16 deliverables specified in the Portfolio Budget Statements 2016–17.
The report accords with the requirements of the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918, the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013, and the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Rule 2016 for annual reports.
There are five chapters:
- Year in review – Summary of key developments and trends by the Electoral Commissioner.
- About the AEC – Role, values and principles, outcome and programs structure, organisational structure and leadership, guiding legislation.
- Performance reporting – Reports against the five agency directions specified in the 2015–19 AEC Corporate Plan with reference to the Portfolio Budget Statements, plus additional information on achievements to complete the AEC performance story.
- Managing the AEC – Governance arrangements, strategic and business planning, risk management, managing resources and assets, compliance, and external scrutiny.
- Financial reporting – Financial performance for 2015–16, including audited financial statements.
These chapters are supported by:
- ‘spotlight’ sections throughout the report highlighting particular developments, activities and outcomes.
Tools to assist readers
This online report features an interactive menu on the left of the screen. Click the icon to see menu options. The AEC logo above the menu links to the AEC website. The text on the top right links to the report home page.
The previous page and next page links at the bottom of each page will guide you through the entire report.
Each section of the report contains an overview and interactive menus to assist navigation.
Readers who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment can contact the AEC through the National Relay Service (NRS).
- TTY users phone 133 677 and ask for 13 23 26.
- Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 and ask for 13 23 26.
- Internet relay users connect to the NRS and ask for 13 23 26.
Telephone interpreter services are available in 18 languages
PDF versions of this report are also available.
© Commonwealth of Australia 2016
The term ‘Indigenous’ in this report refers to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people unless otherwise stated.
This report may contain the names and images of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people now deceased.
Feedback on this report is welcome. Feedback and enquiries should be directed to the contact officer.
Contact officer: Chief Finance Officer
Australian Electoral Commission
50 Marcus Clarke Street
Canberra ACT 2600
Locked Bag 4007
Canberra ACT 2601
Telephone: 02 6271 4411
Fax: 02 6215 9999
Website: Contact us