Report on performance
This section reports on the AEC’s performance against the agency outcome and three programmes set out in the Portfolio Budget Statements.
The AEC has one agency outcome:
The AEC administers three programmes to deliver this outcome:
- Programme 1.1 Electoral Roll Management
- Programme 1.2 Election Management and Support Services
- Programme 1.3 Education and Communication.
There are three parts to the 2013–14 report on performance, aligning with the AEC’s three programmes.
- Active electoral roll management: This section reports on the AEC’s performance in maintaining the integrity of the federal electoral roll, providing enrolment services and ensuring that eligible Australians understand and fulfil their enrolment obligations.
- Efficient delivery of polling services: This section is divided into two parts. The first part, ‘Election management’, reports on the AEC’s performance in delivering three federal parliamentary elections in 2013–14.
The second part, ‘Election support services’, reports on the AEC’s performance in providing a range of additional election services, including funding and disclosure; industrial and commercial elections; and assistance to state, territory and international partners.
- Education and public awareness: This section reports on the AEC’s performance in delivering communication, education and public awareness programmes to help eligible Australians to exercise their democratic rights and responsibilities.
The specific deliverables and key performance indicators in the Portfolio Budget Statements are the basis for assessing achievement under each programme.