AEC information and communications technology (ICT) services use a combination of in-house resources and external providers. During 2012–13, the AEC continued to focus on modernising the ICT environment to improve existing systems to support the next federal election. In particular:
- implementing changes to enrolment systems to streamline processes and increase capacity
- enhancing ICT infrastructure to support new devices such as multi-function devices, tablet computers and smartphones
- enhancing capabilities including online postal vote applications
- implementing new capabilities including online enrolment form with signature capture
- refining the ICT sourcing strategy to align with whole of government policies and panel arrangements
- implementing a pilot application for electronic mark-off of voters via electronic certified lists for the next federal election.