This report is about the performance of the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) for the financial year ending 30 June 2013. The report informs members of parliament, Australians, political parties, interest groups, candidates, electoral authorities, government agencies, students, teachers, and the media about AEC activities and services in 2012–13. It includes AEC performance against the outcome, deliverables and key performance indicators in the Portfolio Budget Statements 2012–13.
The report accords with the requirements of the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918, the Public Service Act 1999 and the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet’s Requirements for Annual Reports.
There are seven sections:
- Commissioner’s review – the Electoral Commissioner, Ed Killesteyn PSM, reflects on the year
- About the AEC – role, values, structure, programs and outcome
- Report on performance – work and achievements against key performance indicators
- Governance and accountability – internal and external measures of management, accountability and governance against internal and external measures
- Improving efficiency – managing people, information technology and environmental performance to improve efficiency
- Managing finances and assets – financial performance, management of assets and contractual arrangements for 2012–13, financial statements and independent auditor’s report
- Appendixes and references – list of requirements, glossary, index and other reference material.
Case studies throughout the report highlight interesting developments and activities during the year.
Tools to assist readers
- To search the 2013 report; click on the search button  on the right hand side of the page.
- To increase or decrease the font size; click on the text button  on the right hand side of the page.
- A plain text version of this report is also available. Click on the styles button  on the right hand side of the page.
Readers who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment can contact the AEC through the National Relay Service (NRS).
- TTY users phone 133 677 and ask for 13 23 26.
- Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 and ask for 13 23 26.
- Internet relay users connect to the NRS and ask for 13 23 26.
Telephone interpreter services are available in 18 languages
Produced by: Australian Electoral Commission
Project managed by: Melanie Harwood
Designed by: Tim McLaren
Website by: Ryan Bray
Warning. This report may contain the names and images of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people now deceased.