The AEC’s role is to deliver the franchise: an Australian citizen’s right to vote. To achieve this, the AEC:
- maintains enrolments and the electoral roll
- manages federal elections and referendums
- conducts ballots for industrial and commercial organisations
- conducts public awareness and education activities
- undertakes electoral research
- assists with overseas elections and referendums
- administers election funding, financial disclosure and party registration
- supports electoral redistributions.
The AEC embraces the Australian Public Service ICARE values – Impartial, Committed to service, Accountable, Respectful and Ethical. The AEC applies these values by:
- conducting AEC business in a non-partisan manner with fairness and impartiality
- maintaining high standards of integrity and ethical behaviour
- respecting and upholding the law
- tolerating difference, being sensitive to special needs and respectful of one another
- being open, transparent and accountable
- respecting and listening to clients, stakeholders and each other.
The AEC’s principles
- We act to serve the Australian people and the federal parliament
- We strive for excellence
- We never knowingly mislead anyone.