Our ICT services were delivered through a hybrid sourcing model that leverages a combination of in-house and external resources.
During 2011–12, we focused on modernising the AEC’s ICT environment and improving the capacity of existing systems to support the next federal election.
In particular, we:
- implemented a number of changes to enrolment systems to streamline processes and increase capacity,
- enhanced the ICT infrastructure for the agency to help support new devices such as tablet computers,
- implemented new capabilities, including:
- an online postal vote application system to enable Australian voters to apply for postal votes directly via the Internet,
- online enrolment, a replacement application system, which enables eligible Australians to initiate enrolment requests and complete address updates via the Internet,
- refined our ICT sourcing strategy to align with various whole-of-government policies and panel arrangements, and
- collaborated with other state electoral bodies to assist them in the provision of IT services in support of electoral events.