Our role is to deliver the franchise; that is, an Australian citizen’s right to vote, as established by the Electoral Act.
As part of our duties we:
- maintain enrolments and the electoral roll,
- manage federal elections and referendums,
- conduct ballots for industrial and commercial organisations,
- conduct public awareness and education activities,
- undertake electoral research,
- assist with overseas elections and referendums,
- administer election funding, financial disclosure and party registration requirements, and
- support electoral redistributions.
Our outcome is to maintain an impartial and independent electoral system for eligible voters through active electoral roll management, efficient delivery of polling services and targeted education and public awareness programs.
As an independent statutory body, we embrace the values of the Australian Public Service in the high standards of behaviour we display on a day-to-day basis. In particular, we:
- conduct our business in a non-partisan manner with fairness and impartiality,
- maintain high standards of integrity and ethical behaviour,
- respect and uphold the law,
- are tolerant of difference, sensitive to special needs and show respect for one another,
- are open, transparent and accountable in what we do, and
- respect and listen to our clients and stakeholders and each other.
We abide by the following principles:
- We act to serve the Australian people and the federal parliament.
- We strive for excellence.
- We never knowingly mislead anyone.