About this Report (AEC Annual Report 2008–09)
Updated: 6 December 2010
This annual report of the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) documents the AEC's performance for the financial year ending 30 June 2009.
The annual report begins with:
- the 25th Anniversary
- the Electoral Commissioner's review of performance in 2008–09 and outlook for 2009–10
- a summary of the AEC's achievements in 2008–09
- an overview of the AEC, describing its role, legislative basis, organisation, performance framework and partnerships.
The next three sections detail the AEC's:
- performance in meeting the indicators and targets of the outcomes and outputs framework set out for the AEC in the 2008–09 Portfolio Budget Statements
- performance in relation to responsibilities such as internal governance, external scrutiny, human resources management, providing access for people with disabilities, purchasing, assets management, and use of tenders and contracts
- financial performance, including the audited financial statements for 2008–09.
The main report is followed by:
- appendices which provide detailed information and statistics required to be reported by legislation and other reporting requirements
- a list of abbreviations, a compliance index and an alphabetical index.
The annual report is designed to meet the information needs of the AEC's stakeholders and customers, including:
- eligible electors
- members of parliament, political parties, electoral candidates and interest groups
- the media
- state, territory and international electoral authorities
- federal, state, territory and local government agencies
- students, teachers and researchers
- AEC staff.
The annual report is presented for tabling in the Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia. Copies are available free of charge, in hard copy or electronic format, through the AEC website.
For more information about the annual report, contact the Director, Governance, Assurance and Organisational Reporting, at the address shown below. General contact details for the AEC are also shown in the 'Overview' section of the report.